Test Results

How long until my test results are ready?

For Visual Mold tests, your results are available 72 hours after our lab receives your test sample. If you need your results faster, you may purchase Rush Service to have your results delivered within 24 hours of receipt of your kit by the lab. For more information on Rush Service, review the Test Instructions that came with your Mold OK Detector Kit. Here is a link to download the Test Instructions. (Instrucciones en Español)

How do I get my results?

Your results will be delivered by fax or email, depending on which option you choose on the Test Instructions Contact and Payment Information form. To have your results resent, please call the MoldLab at 972-236-7149.

What information will be on the lab report?

You will receive a thorough report with an easy to understand summary page. See sample report.
  • The top portion of the report is the information you provided on the paperwork, test kit, or samples you sent in to the lab
  • The second or middle section of the report is a list of the sample location (if provided) on the left side of the page. On the right side of the page the types of mold that were found (if any) are listed, along with a rating system of 1x – 4x. See the next FAQ for more information on this rating system.
  • The bottom portion of the report shows the laboratory licenses and certifications as well as the technician who analyzed your sample(s).

If you sent in more than one sample, each report will clearly list the location where each sample was retrieved.

What does the rating system (1x-4x) mean?

In response to several customer questions, the lab created the rating system of 1X-4X so you would have a relative idea of how much mold there is in your sample.

The lab technician looks at the sample under the microscope and estimates rating of 1-4X. 1X equals a trace amount and can be found in typical dust samples and a 4X rating of abundant tends to come directly from a source of the mold. For example, if you sent in a tape lift sample of mold growing on a piece of wood, the lab would identify the type of mold on the sample rate the mold with a 4X rating.
If you had taken a sample of dust that had settled on a table top, you may get a report back with a 1X and the several types of mold found. It is normal for many types of mold to be airborne every day so it is common to find trace amounts in a typical dust sample. 

What does the “other” on my report mean?

Occasionally, the lab finds a type of mold spore on a sample that it is unable to identify by direct examination under the microscope. When this happens, the lab will try to get the mold to grow on a Petri dish to identify it. However, there are many types of mold that do not grow well in a laboratory and are difficult to identify. In those cases, the report will list the spore as “other”, indicating that mold was found but could not be identified however, it is not a type of mold that is routinely identified, such as Stachybotrys.

I received my test report. What do I do now?

If your lab report lists high or abundant levels of potentially dangerous types of mold, the lab usually recommends that you hire a professional to inspect your home or business. You can also find professionals on the Internet or in your local phone book.

The report indicates that I have mold. How do I get rid of it?

Most molds are considered allergenic and some may be toxigenic, so if you are going to disturb the mold with cleaning methods you may be increasing your chances of exposure to the mold particles. A good rule of thumb is that if the contaminated area is small and the material is non-porus, it can be cleaned by traditional methods. Porus materials, on the other hand, are difficult to clean because of the tiny microscopic holes in the material. The root type structures of the mold can grow down into the holes and make it hard to clean completely. For more information, you can visit the EPA’s website or OSHA’s website.

Depending on the quantity and type of mold, you may want to take certain steps for your safety.

  1. In the case of a small area or non-toxin producing mold, you may choose to do the clean-up yourself.
  2. Depending on the type of mold and where it is located, you might want to discard, rather than clean infected items.
  3. With a larger area or with a potentially toxin producing mold, you may choose to contact a professional.
  4. With hidden areas, such as under wallpaper, clean-up can actually introduce mold into the air. Considering the risks of clean-up, you may want to hire a cleaning professional.
  5. With potentially toxin producing mold, you may want to consider a further test with an on-site professional. If you received a lab report that had high or abundant levels of mold that are associated with adverse health effects, you may choose to hire a professional to perform a more detailed assessment which often includes taking air samples. Air sampling will tell you if that same mold the lab detected on your tape lift sample is airborne.

“Molds produce and release millions of spores small enough to be air-, water-, or insect-borne… (And spores and) mycotoxins can have negative effects on human health. For those people who are affected by mold exposures there can be a wide variation in how they react. People at greatest risk of health effects are individuals with allergies, asthma, sinusitis, or other respiratory conditions, as well as infants and children, elderly people, and pregnant women. In addition, individuals with a weakened immune system are at risk.” (1)

Experts suggest that remediation should be handled by professionals.

Find the source of the water/ moisture and fix it. "Wash mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely. " (2)  Please note that using bleach is no longer the recommended method to clean mold. Simple detergent is preferred.

You can effectively "kill" the mold using a variety of products and if you kill it you will prevent it from growing in a new location if a spore happens to land in a moist area. However, in all cases the mold should be REMOVED from the premises.

  • Biocides are toxic to molds and often are toxic to humans as well (e.g. bleach…)
  • Some biocides are considered pesticides and, in some jurisdictions, only registered pesticide applicators may apply these products
  • ACGIH discourages use
  • Alternative - detergent (3)

For contaminated materials that are not a hard surface like metal or plastic and are on porous materials such as textiles, wood, sheetrock etc. They may need to be replaced depending on the situation. (2) These materials are absorbent and the roots of the mold can grow down into the microscopic holes of the material and make cleaning difficult.

After all contaminated materials have be cleaned or removed, wipe all horizontal surfaces to eliminate as much organic settled debris as possible.

Next, clean the air.

Remove the spores from the air: HEPA filters remove the particles in the air i.e. spores, pollen, skin, etc. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment (2) Mold is a part of our natural environment, and an important one for many reasons. Your indoor air environment mold spore concentrations should be like or lower than the outdoor mold spore concentrations. Remember that doors and windows are regularly opening and closing, and people are constantly moving in and out of the interior spaces, therefore air flow is in constant motion. For this reason, mold spore concentrations are also constantly changing and sampling provides a snap shot of the air at the precise moment of testing.

Remove possible Mycotoxins from the air: To clean the air of any volatile organic compounds such as mycotoxins, use activated charcoal filters. The activated charcoal/carbon filter works to alter the length of the chemical compound’s chain. The amount of charcoal filter material needed to sufficiently clean an area will depend on the size of the area, and the length of time the air is filtered through the system. Please refer to the air purifier’s manufacturer recommendations for specific instructions.
1. www.osha.gov/SLTC/molds/
2. www.epa.gov/mold/moldresources.html
3. www.mrsars.usda.gov/mwa/shem/November2005CEPSMouldPresentation.ppt

The report indicates that I have mold. Can I still live in my house?

That is difficult to answer since there are no established safe levels of mold and individuals have dramatically different resistances to mold.

The evaluation of the lab results in terms of potential health hazards and subsequent courses of action are beyond the scope of the laboratory analysis. If your test results indicate that there are potentially harmful health effects associated with the mold, you should consult your physician to discuss possible health effects and medical advice. Those requiring expert advisement on a indoor air quality issue should retain the services of a professional IAQ consultant.

Will it come back once it is cleaned?

It can if the conditions are conducive to its growth. Different types of mold thrive in various conditions. Some types of mold grow in high moisture, some low, some like cellulose, some prefer decaying material, etc. We advise that you test at least once per year and certainly if the growth conditions remain. The Mold OK Detection Kit contains 10 test items (6 Tape Lift and 4 Bag Method) in a re-closeable package for many years of retesting. Download additional Contact & Payment Information form (part of the Mold Test Kit Instructions) for additional tests.

I can’t find the attachment in my email or the attachment will not open.

Please call (972) 247-9373. Or email info@moldlab.com so the lab can send the report to you in a different format or an alternate way, i.e. fax or U.S. Mail.

A product of Labtech. Backed by over 80 years experience.